This simple yet flavorful dish is the perfect way to highlight the beautiful complexities of a good white wine sauce.
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 10-15 thin asparagus stalks trimmed and cut in 2 inch pieces
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the penne according to package instructions.
- While the penne is cooking, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add asparagus and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add butter, white wine and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and then and simmer for 5 minutes until sauce has reduced by half.
- Drain pasta and add to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Top with parsley, parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.