As if you needed an excuse to open a bottle of champagne, we give you one of the finest food and wine pairings known to man or beast: champagne and fried chicken.
Located in Avize Domaine, Jacques Selosse produces some of the most singular champagnes in the world. While the rest of his contemporaries emphasized their “house style,” Anselme Selosse has focused his attentions on bringing out the unique terroirs where his fruit is grown.
The centerpiece of Selosse is their Initiale.
Initiale is a blend of 3 different vintages of chardonnay from the villages of Avize, Oger, and Cramant. Rich and full on the palate, Selosse champagne can pair with a variety of foods, however, there is just something so deliciously deviant by pairing high end champagne with fried chicken.
To this end, we’ve partnered with Chef Chris D’Andrea of the newly opened B-Side in San Francisco.
Make up a platter of these sandwiches, grab a few friends and pop a bottle of champagne. We swear it’ll add 10 years to your life, and take 10lbs from your waist line*. (*Results may vary)
For the Cucumber Pickles:
1 pound of Kirby Cucumbers
¼ Cup white onions; sliced into ¼ inch strips
2 Cups white vinegar
1 T kosher salt
½ Cup sugar
5 garlic cloves; smashed
¼ Teaspoon Turmeric powder
½ Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- Cut the cucumbers into 1/4 inch slices with a mandolin or a knife. Put in a tall container with the sliced onions
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Immediately pour over the cucumbers and let cool to room temperature before storing in the fridge. They will last up to two weeks.
Marinate the Chicken thighs:
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 1 ½ pounds
2 Cups buttermilk
1 Teaspoon salt
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Paprika
¼ tsp Onion Powder
¼ tsp Garlic Powder
¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a resalable bag and store in the fridge for at least 6 hours, and up to 48.
Make the Celery Root Slaw:
1 Cup of julienne Celery Root
¼ Tsp Salt
1/8 Tsp ground Black Pepper
1/8 Tsp Celery Seeds
½ Cup Mayonaisse
- Make sure to wash and peel the celery root before slicing it into julienne.
- Combine everything and mix thoroughly in a bowl. This can be made up to a day ahead
Assemble the Sandwiches:
4 Soft Sandwich Rolls
Celery Root Slaw
All purpose flour for dredging the chicken thighs
Vegetabe oil for frying
- Heat a large pot of vegetable oil over medium heat, until the oil reaches 350 degrees.
Take the chicken out of the buttermilk marinade and dredge it completely in flour. The idea is to let some of the buttermilk form clumps on the chicken; these are what give the crispy crunchy texture to the sandwich.
- Fry the chicken thighs for 5-8 minutes, or until they are a deep golden brown and just cooked through. Season immediately with a pinch of salt
While the chicken is frying cut the sandwich rolls in half, and brush both sides with mayonnaise. Cover the bottom layer with a generous amount of Cucumber Pickles, then add the Chicken Thighs, and finally the Celery Root Slaw.
- Serve with some cole-slaw or potato salad